Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Touch of Evil: Your Future's All Used Up



You're close
and you smile to me
but I, I cry softly.
I don't hold you
for I feel that you
are already thinking of the end of the trip.
Sadly, ravens cry in the dark.
Let the horse go slower.
Let me still have the illusion
that I still see you
in the sleigh with the bells
in the valley, deep in snow.
From Marlene Dietrich's German language version of Rogers and Hammerstein's "Surrey With a Fringe Top," from Oklahoma. Dietrich's German version was recorded during the war. Somehow a goofy ditty becomes strange and sad in translation. Hemmingway said of her "If she had nothing more than her voice she could break your heart with it."
Touch Of Evil (50th Anniversary Edition)Touch Of Evil (50th Anniversary Edition)

No comments: